Buying the GH3. Ultrawide lens and variable ND filter?

Started Jan 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
amtberg Veteran Member • Posts: 6,057
Re: Buying the GH3. Ultrawide lens and variable ND filter?

EarthQuake wrote:

babybunny wrote:

I'm buying the GH3. Having used APS-C for forever, I need some lens recommendations, primarily for travel, so it needs to be light and minimal.

I'm thinking about:

Ultrawide - but I need one that can take a variable ND filter. How can this be accomplished with m4/3?

Superzoom - Panasonic 14-140mm f/4.0-5.8 ASPH./MEGA O.I.S. Lumix G Vario HD

Prime - Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 Aspheric G- Series Pancake Lens (46mm)

Any input?

The only UWA lens that takes filters for the M43 system is the Olympus 9-18mm(18-36mm FF equiv or 12-24mm APS-C equiv).

The Panasonic 7-14 is wider but like the Sigma 8-16mm and 12-24mm, it has a non-removable lens hood and can't take thread mount filters.

Agree with the above.  I also endorse the 14-140 as an excellent superzoom.  Heavy by MFT standards, but worth it if you want that kind of range in a single lens.

One thing about the 20mm is that it can produce some banding with the GH3 (and OMD) at high ISO.  I've seen it occasionally with my GH3 but it's not enough to put me off.  It's very fine bands only in shadow areas, and I doubt anyone would notice it unless they were looking for it.

An alternative would be the PanLeica 25/1.4.  Bigger, but still pretty compact and definitely better for video than the 20mm if you're into that.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow