Canon G2X

Started Jan 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
MOD Dale Buhanan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,277
Re: What I look forward to in the Canon G2X:

frameman wrote:

Well I have read all the above, and have to agree with some and not others. Now I have looked and tested the G1X a lot(downloads and actual usage), it's IQ is sgreat, it's shape is about right, I can live with the lens quite easily (faster would be nice but optical engineering has limits and retain the size) and it's ISO performance is exemplary. The optical viewfinder is very off putting and the focusing speed is not good but useable. Canon missed a great chance here with both the G1X and the EOS M. Other makers have mastered the mirrorless focusing to a much higher degree and also put in splendid EVFs, so I am guessing there are some patents to be avoided or design ethics to be considered. I use a Canon 600D and various lens and would like a lighter set up and have seriously considered the G1X, but I am hanging back to see just what Canon intend to do for a G2X, that is if they do.

For my needs I would like the G2X to have much much faster focusing, a decent EVF, manual zooming using the front ring and a few more frames per second. If it were possible a faster lens but no worries, it has good high ISO. So come on Canon, you have the ability, the know how and the customers ready and waiting, what's your problem.

I second what you have written here with one exception.  I don't see how Canon could have a manual zoom and still have a lens that would retract into the body at shutdown, like they do now.  I think having the lens retract into the body is a must, and that likely precludes having a manual zoom.  Manual zooms work best on fixed lenses.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon G1 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 +35 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Jim
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow