DP2M In Perspective

Started Jan 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
SandyF Forum Pro • Posts: 14,941
Re: DP2M In Perspective

DMillier wrote:

Agreed the Ms are a big improvement over previous generatoion. Four of my complaints about the original DP1 have been addressed - larger buffer, non-motorised lens, command wheel, mf ring around the lens. Some haven't been however: still a long delay before you can review the histogram, bad battery life, gripless brick, and crucially no viewfinder (hotshoe carbuncle doesn't really count).

What that means to me is it only a tripod based camera.I'd be happy with it for that restricted usage given the other improvements but what puts me off is the price (especially considering there are 3 of them) for such limited usage . I got the DP1 for £200 but at £800 a fixed lens tripod only camera would have to pretty perfect as a camera to get my money (and there would have to be lightroom support).

-- hide signature --

David, the DP2M certainly isn't a tripod only camera, at least in my usage. A monopod is more than sufficient usually and you can still do many situations totally hand-held. The only time in Death Valley I used a tripod was for the sunrise shots at Zabriskie Point. The wind was whipping, I couldn't have held the monopod steady!

After discussions here about 'base ISO' and Laurence's and others comments that ISO200 is 'base' and a generally good starting point, I used ISO200 for the majority of my DP2M and SD1 shots. There is another advantage to ISO200 too ... gives you a lot faster shutter speeds resulting in less subject/movement blur.

okay, you may say a monopod is as 'unconvenient' as a tripod, but I don't find it so. At least for my usage, when out walking, visiting gardens, generally almost anywhere except indoors, I find my monopod an easy tool to use for steadier photos. Usually though it's not permitted indoors in Washington, DC, buildings, so I've done a lot of shots hand-held with all the cameras, including DP2Merrill.

Best regards, Sandy
http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman (archival)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current)

SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow