Not A Fan of Viewfinders. Am I crazy?

Started Jan 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Tom Axford Veteran Member • Posts: 5,762
Re: Not A Fan of Viewfinders. Am I crazy?

I find there is at least one significant advantage in using the camera's screen rather than a viewfinder.

It is that you can make eye contact with your subject while pressing the button, which is particularly important with very young children if you want to get them to smile. Of course, you do need to hold the camera sufficiently steady that it doesn't move significantly while you take your eyes off the screen to look at the subject, but holding the camera steady is something you need to concentrate on doing anyway if you are not to get motion blur while holding the camera at arm's length.

Using a viewfinder and using the screen on the camera involve rather different techniques and it is certainly harder using the screen on the camera if you have been brought up using the viewfinder. In my opinion there are pros and cons to each, however, and for the past few years I have been using cameras without a viewfinder because they are smaller and lighter. I haven't so far been seriously wanting to buy a viewfinder.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow