A 'hidden cost' of being a pro Locked

Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Michael Fryd Veteran Member • Posts: 6,230
Re: OT: Windows 8 is the new Vista (no text)

Joe Federer wrote:

While I agree the new UI is a complete disaster -- requiring more clicks and more cognitive effort than before, I suspect they'll come out with some tweaks that will fix it up so as to not be as huge of a step backwards as it currently is.

... I've got a desktop, don't shackle me to the UI limits of a tablet.... thankyouverymuch!

If they fix that, I think a lot of people will switch... it's actually got some really nice features if you can get beyond the stupid tablet UI they are trying to force onto the desktop.

The problem is that most people are not power users.  For most consumers, a tablet UI is a better choice.

Power users (like most of us) are a small fraction of the market.  Companies who wish to make money tend to target the larger customer base (consumers) at the expense of losing the much smaller pro market.

I expect both Microsoft and Apple to adopt the tablet interface for desktops.  Apple is already selling far more tablets than desktops.  The potential tablet market is huge.  Customer's will be familiar with their tablets, and will trend towards the desktop with the matching interface.

This is not what I want the market to do, however it is what I expect the market to do.

Michael Fryd's gear list:Michael Fryd's gear list
Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BAK
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
eNo
eNo
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow