Panasonic Lumix GH2 Settings Tips

Started Jan 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
eagle_I
eagle_I Senior Member • Posts: 2,670
Re: Panasonic Lumix GH2 Settings Tips

mpgxsvcd wrote:

I do have one question though. This isn't meant to be argumentative. I just was curious about why you shoot jpgs and then edit them. Can your version of photoshop edit the RAW files? With the GH3 the RAW burst modes are so much better that I always say you should shoot RAW if you plan to edit them ever.

If you never plan to edit them then jpg works just fine.

Yeah, I know my choice of JPG over RAW goes against the wisdom of many "pros", but my own experience working with RAW conversion has shown very little improvement over what I can get with JPG and the cameras I had before the GH2 were way too slow at shooting RAW. Also RAW's much larger file size significantly (for me) slows down handling, file transfer, viewing, and processing, which I felt even after I built a very speedy PC.

Every so often I say, "What the heck is wrong with me?" and I go back to give RAW another try, but even with my much improved Photoshop skills I haven't yet found worthwhile benefits. With the GH3 I'm due for another one of those tests. I think I read about a new shadow/highlight adjustment in more recent Adobe Camera Raw versions and since that's been my favorite adjustment in CS5 and CS6 I want to give that new feature a try too.

Mark

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow