Best DSLR + lens combo for low light, indoor kid shots

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jeadm Senior Member • Posts: 1,743
Another +1 on the A57 with 35mm f1.8

A little late to the conversation, but I can relate to some of the needs you have.  I've shot Canon for many years, but over the last couple have bought more into the Sony system, lately the A57 (I still have my Canon gear, so I'm not a brand snob by any means).  This was primarily done to keep up with a couple of growing toddlers, a tough task even when you're not trying lug camera gear around at the same time.

I know of the concerns about the EVF/SLT et al but I can assure you the technology has evolved to the point that any negative impact is mostly overblown or easily mitigated.  Not to mention the advantages the EVF DOES have (and there are many), as well as the ability to take video with focusing that just works and IBIS so all lenses are stabilized.

The Sony 35mm f1.8 is great for the existing light shots you want indoors, and the price is right.  Remember though, just because the light is sufficient for a handheld shot doesn't mean your kids are moving at a pace that you can take one.  There's just no substitute for a flash in these situations.  The nice thing about the A57 is you won't have to invest too much going in, and while you use and better determine your needs you can determine where you want to go with other lenses, flash etc.

I saw Amazon with the A57 & "the better kit" 18-135mm for $798, that's good until 1/26 I believe (after that the manufacturer's discount incentive expires....or not, it's anybody's guess).  That lens is a very good step up from the standard 18-55 kit zoom, and while people generally poo poo the kit zoom, the 18-135 focuses fast and quiet and is decent sharp for a lens in it's category, and I'm glad I took the chance and spent the extra money on it (and saved $350) buying it as a kit with the A57 vs the body alone.  With that lens and the 35mm f1.8, it's a real good place to start.  Amazon's return policy is pretty generous if you're not satisfied, but I would expect it fits your needs.  Good luck!

Jeadm's gear list:Jeadm's gear list
Sony a77 II Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow