A 'hidden cost' of being a pro Locked

Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
OP PenguinPhotoCo Veteran Member • Posts: 6,284
all sorts of 'hidden' issues

I run into new issues every day.

I have a check scanner - the software won't work properly...have to use the old computer. An hour (with all the tech assistance in the world)

I use breezebrowser pro, have for years. It's on another computer. Never had issues over the network before (same program since 2009). For whatever reason it's not liking the network connection. PITA.
OK, no probs - I 'll install it on the new computer. OK...where is the activation code? Email them to get it. Waiting...6 hours now. Yep, relying on others is SOOO much more efficient than doing it yourself. Back in 09 I probably put the code in my email ... I now print and file them and keep a copy in the directory with the install files. No expert I could hire can do anything about that now.
When I installed the PS plug in for the canon printer I spent 1/2 hour on the phone with canon tech support to get the proper updates in the right order, etc. (Canon's fault - the printer works on a network ID you manually input a MAC address...this si NOT documented anyplace). Do I remember 3 1/2 years later what I did? Hells no. And no tech guru I'd pay by the hour would know any better - they'd call canon and charge me $90/hour to do it.
The idea of a new computer is to improve one's efficiency and productivity. And yes, the new computer makes LR fly like never before. But these 'teething' pains - whether 'hidden' or not, are not something I like to deal with - I want to be a photographer. Now hiring help won't make it any less painful I assure you. It will make it a lot more expensive.
But like so many in this thread seem to say - it all goes fast and smooth every time. until it doesn't of course. Like at 4pm on a saturday afternoon when the check scanner won't come up and you've got 75 checks to run and deposit. It worked friday....and it worked just fine on friday.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or it's administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me of course)

PenguinPhotoCo's gear list:PenguinPhotoCo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BAK
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
eNo
eNo
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow