Getting best Dynamic Range with OMD.

Started Jan 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
texinwien Veteran Member • Posts: 3,326
Re: Getting best Dynamic Range with OMD.

1. The OM-D, due to the discrepancy between the marked and measured ISO values (per DxO), underexposes by around one stop, per default, seemingly with the intention of exposing for the highlights for photographers who aren't paying close attention to exposure values. If you then deliberately expose further to the left, well, you're not doing yourself any favors.

2. In LightRoom, my default import settings are Exposure -1.00, Contrast -33. I generally use the Whites and Blacks sliders rather than Highlights and Shadows sliders to compensate for over or under exposure. I then use the Highlights and Shadows sliders for further fine adjustments. I haven't noticed the 'flat highlights' phenomenon you allude to.

3. I haven't seen anyone else claim that the exmoor sensors don't respond to ETTR well or that it's preferable to use an ETTL strategy with those sensors.

I think you'll find little support from those in the know on this board for preferring an ETTL strategy over an ETTR strategy with the E-M5 or other cameras that share the same sensor.

tex

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 OnePlus One Canon EOS 300D +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
GBC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow