SIGN PETITION Nikon d600 dust on sensor

Started Nov 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Dr Bob
Dr Bob Senior Member • Posts: 1,319
Re: Pointless and unproven

Josh SZ wrote:

To people who think D600 self-contamination is not a big issue and just need regular clean to deal with it, I am not blaming you because you are nice people. But sometimes if you are too nicer, especially too nicer to this Nikon self-contamination problem, it will send Nikon a wrong message and they will never take the issue seriously. You will see the issue repeat its self. You will see the problem come back in the future, in D900, D820? D620?.... I don’t think you like to deal with this again in your next upgrade.

And even you only take pictures F1/8 or larger, the spots will still degrade the picture quality, like the sharpness at the very point, even you don’t see them. So a clean censor is still preferred.

Not much point in signing this petition if you live in the UK - see below.  The petition says "Currently, many owners of a D600, are forced, in theory, to clean the sensor every few hundreds shots." and "We want to know how you can fix our camera permanently. "

How many of us have 600's that need cleaning every 200 shots? I don't, but it will need cleaning more than I had hoped - but no problem.

If you live in the UK, forget the petition. They will never admit to a problem with large number of cameras needing cleaning after 200 shots - perhaps they are not all this bad.

In the UK there is protection in the form of Sale of Goods Act 1979. If you buy goods that are then not fit for purpose, you can demand your money back or a replacement. Servicing is not an option. You go to the seller and ask for a replacement. The key interpretation is that if the fault develops in the first 6 months then the courts deem the problem to have been there since new. If you can show a high level of spots and they re-occur needing cleaning every 200 shots then that sounds like -not fit for purpose - to me and the court should agree.

If you are in the UK and you don't like it, take it back under the sale of goods act. If the shop refuses then take them to the small claims court.

If you are not in the UK and don't get equivalent consumer protection then start a petition to change the law. Maybe easier than getting Nikon to own up.

I won't be taking mine back - but might be back here in couple of weeks to get more advice on cleaning it!

I struggle with the wording in the petition which is another reason not to sign it.

Dr Bob's gear list:Dr Bob's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow