How can any wedding photographer get the shots with the 800?

Started Jan 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Paul Spatafora Contributing Member • Posts: 939
D800 weddings and Events

I recently got my D800 and shot 2 events with it. 99% of the photos were shot handheld and I got a 99.9% retention factor. The camera responses and acts like my D700 in almost every way. The only anomaly I found and which I posted a thread, was that in 6 situations I got severe back focus which I could not explain. Subsequently, I took the examples to Nikon and they are reviewing them. I'm sure Nikon will come back and tell me it was operator error. I'm hoping with the glut of operator errors reported here, Nikon will correct it with a firmware update.

Having used the D700 for close to 4 years, I have found that the focus in the D800 reacts in a similar fashion and better in low light. If you use the golden rule 1/focal length for your shutter speed, you'll get very good sharp images.

If I had to complain about anything, it would be the green yellow tint on the viewfinder and on the images. It takes an extra step in processing to neutralize it. Nikon informs me that I can get that changed with a software update. The one thing that I've noticed about the D800 over the D700 is that the detail in the whites are now available for recovery with the RAW converters. In the past, the whites were the Achilles heel of the D700. If you're a wedding photographer, the D800  will save your bacon in those situations.  As I've stated, I shot two events with the D800 back to back right out of the box and it has proven itself with the exception of the anomalies I have mentioned.

Coming from the film world, I have learnt that autofocus is a tricky business and that you have to really concentrate to really get it right!

Hope this helps.

Paul

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow