Warning: beginner looking to buy a d-SLR camera

Started Jan 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
baloo_buc Veteran Member • Posts: 9,861
Re: Warning: beginner looking to buy a d-SLR camera

Nemandi wrote:

On to the products I've looked at:

• Nikon D3200: Truthfully after reading about the "Guide Mode" offered by this camera I was just about sold but decided I really did need to get an educated second opinion.

A basic camera with only "advantage" being the 24 M. It would be good.

• Nikon D5100: Have read good reviews but think it may be more advanced than I can handle

D5100 and D3200 are equally easier to handle. It has just a few settings more. Most are useful.

• Nikon D800: I know it to be just about double my price range but will admit to have greatly considered it before deciding that it, to is more advanced than I can handle

I do think it's an overkill for you. If you would have the budget for the body and a good lens (like 24-70 mm f/2.8) I would say go for it. It would have been an expensive toy.

Based on your requirements and budget D5100 and 18-105 mm VR. Later you may buy 70-300 mm VR if you find that you need more reach.

Enjoy!

baloo_buc's gear list:baloo_buc's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow