D800 focus with 1.4 prime lenses is very variable and inaccurate

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Colin46 Senior Member • Posts: 1,171
Re: This is a generic problem

Photo Pete wrote:

Do you still have the D3 to compare side by side? I have done just that and the difference is quite tangible. Maybe some of the D800s just don't work very well, but that is just as damning of Nikon that their quality control is poor.

I see little point in singing the praises of the Nikon brand if you can't guarantee how their premium range cameras will perform. It is all about consumer confidence and Nikon are currently blowing it.

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

I surpose we can all only go on our own experiences.

I sold my D3 after extenstive testing alongside my D800 and the D800 focuses faster and just as accurately in every situation for me, i never use liveview focusing. I just couldnt see the point of keeping the low res D3 even for my wldlife and bird photography.

I also sold my 24-70 and bought the 24, 35 and 85 F1.4G lenses and couldn't be happier, their ability to isolate subjects at f1.4 was the reason for my change and the increased sharpness over the 24-70 from f2.8 and above.

The 35 F1.4 and 85 F1.4 have become my wedding combo and I trust them 100% to get me the shot at any aperture.

Sorry your having the problems you are, but not all of us are.

Colin46's gear list:Colin46's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rtf
TOF guy MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow