Useful 1DX feature for nature / sports shooters...

Started Jan 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Decoboy Regular Member • Posts: 172
Re: Only using AI Servo, plus an idea from the AE1

Hi Scott,

How well do you find AI Servo works with focus and re-compose?

For single shots I've found One Shot faster and besides I can focus on something initially outside the grid if needed - not possible for AI Servo because it can't track off the grid.

Also - does anyone remember the Canon AE1 with a motor drive?

It had a handy extra button (under the fingers) which would switch to HS drive in any mode ( ~ 5 frames/sec), found it very useful for motor sports to avoid chewing up film -

The 1Dx can have the AF-On or * set to switch to the 14f/sec but only if you are already in HS,

Frankly I find this a little useless - you're stuck with viewfinder blackout, no AF or AE and jpeg only when you could already bang away at up to 12 fs with full AF/AE.

What would be MUCH better would be able to just switch to HS with your current settings - and be able to use the MFn-2 or DOF preview buttons under your fingers (the AF-On and * default uses are more important IMO)

I realise that as the OP said this can be achieved  using C1/C2, however this uses up 2 of 3 custom modes, just to switch drive mode using one specific set of camera settings.

What do you think ?

-- hide signature --

Brian

Decoboy's gear list:Decoboy's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS-1D X Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow