Best DSLR + lens combo for low light, indoor kid shots

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
SergioNevermind Forum Member • Posts: 76
Is really AF tracking capability so crucial?

I'll try to keep it simple.

I think AF tracking ability is pushing and pushing up the selection of an afordable camera to the most high end available equiment. But if you think about candids, maybe you can take a different (old fashioned approach). As somebody else (in a very intelligent way) posted, for indoors shooting a 24 mm (equivalent) is a must. If kids are moving, anything larger will miss the frame, the ambient, the context.

I'll do a rough math:

24 mm stopped down at f4.0 or even 5.6, 1/100 sec on ISO 1600 or 3200 will take a lot of light, provide a large DOF and will freeze enough many situations. It will also get the context. Lots of beautiful moments can be captured around this set of parameters.

And I'm talking just to focus manually estimating distance and letting the wide DOF provided by this lens do the job.

So I would be looking for a good 24mm f 2.0 and a sensor able to provide liittle noise at ISO 3200. (NOT a zoom kit lens at full aperture)

Capture RAW and some additional processing can mend exposure difficulties.

Having made this choice, portraits will requiere an 85 mm (equivalent) f 2.0, but portrait means a NOT MOVING subjet, or at least not the same speed of movement.

I would select FF, APS or even 4/3 with these pair of lenses (equivalent focal length) and a sensor capable of good ISO and forget about AF tracking.

(Well, the Oly EM5 might be a choice here too).

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow