How to recover stolen Sony camera and lenses?

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Kriekira Senior Member • Posts: 2,227
How to recover stolen Sony camera and lenses?

Yesterday morning, stolen from a locked and armed car in an open, populated park without setting off car alarm -- window was (apparently) pried to the point of breaking (metal in b-pillar bent), no doors were opened -- my prized Sony kit: a900, 70-400G, 24-70Z, 16-35Z. (I was less than 100 yards away, within earshot, but with no direct sight-line to the car. Car was legally parked, and left for less than 20 minutes.)

How to recover?

Usual stuff: Police report. Scan Craigslist. Scan Ebay classified. Contact all camera dealers within 100 mi. Scan national "for sale" sites dedicated to high-end camera equipment (Miranda, others?).

Unusual stuff: iPhone also stolen. Used "Find My Phone" to trace the iPhone to a back alley in a bad neighborhood. Police recovered phone -- in a different case! -- is being sent for fingerprints. Police believe location has nothing to do with the theft. (??)

Other: Would like to use sites such as those listed in this ZDNet article , but they seem to all rely on the camera body serial number being embedded in the EXIF. According to the sites, NO Sony cameras do this. Are there services that help recover Sony equipment?

All suggestions most heartily welcome. Thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --

Kirby Krieger. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA.

Kriekira's gear list:Kriekira's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX1R Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Stv
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow