D5200 Best in Class

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
marike6 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,088
Re: Anything else would have been failure

Shunda77 wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Another home run for Nikon:

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/01/18/nikon-d5200-dxomark-score-better-than-the-d3200.aspx/#more-52134

High ISO a bit better than the D7000 with equal DR of 13.9 stops.

In one sense this is great news, the image quality is no worse than the sensor it replaces and indeed could be a smidgen better.

However, it is extremely difficult to feel too thrilled over why Nikon has gone for resolution as the be all and end all of sensor design while 'holding ground' in other areas.

There are other more consistently usable aspects of camera/sensor design that would be of far more value to the enthusiast photographer that seem to be completely ignored, higher frames per second would be but one, better user interface would be another.

It's not that Nikon has ignored developing higher end features like super fast burst modes and high end AF modules (See the Nikon 1 cameras, which specification wise has all the things you are talking about).

But the fact is Nikon, or Canon for that matter, is not going to equip entry level models like the D3200 and D5200 with high FPS abilities abilities found in higher end cameras like the D7000 or 7D.  If they did many less people would buy the top-of-the-line DX camera models.  That's just the way it is.  Cannibalizing your own camera line-up is not at all a business savvy move.

What could Nikon (Sony?) have done with a development of the current 16mp sensor? or even a 18mp version? (thus matching their most direct competition for marketing effect).

Why is 16 mp such a magical number?  Since the 24 mp sensors found in the D3200 and D5200 have matched the Sony 16 mp Exmor for high ISO, DR and exceeded them for color depth, why stay with a lower resolution output?  As a D800 user, I can tell you that a 36 mp file, while a bit slower to process, is way more versatile in terms of cropping.  If a given image can be improved by cropping to 16 mp, I can do it.

It seems crazy to me that they choose to fight the laws of physics instead of developing a more comprehensive package, a direction that still sees Canon cameras selling well despite their woefully outdated 18mp sensor.

The only laws of physics that they are fighting are diffraction, and with all the absolutely great lenses Nikon makes, this is not a major issue, for the most part, at all.  Are there lenses that don't perform as well in the corners on the slightly more demanding 24 mp sensors?  Of course.  Will diffraction begin to show up a 1/3 of a stop or more earlier on sensors with higher pixel densities?  Yes.  But there are enough superb lenses that perform great on all of the new Nikon bodies that choosing a higher resolution sensor is ultimately a trade-off with few negative consequences and lots of positive ones.

Nikon already has the image quality corner all stitched up, why don't they look at other aspects of camera design?

What makes you think they haven't?

Some may say they have with the new auto focus module, but sorry to say, the jury is still out on that one and we have no idea whether that combination is going to be reliable or not.

Indeed, there are a disturbing number of AF issues emerging already with the D5200, I have my doubts whether a camera with that sensor, with that AF system, and those lenses is going to give consistent and reliable results.

Judging by these images, it would seem that that sensor, AF system, and those lenses (Nikkors?  Who would have thought?) is already producing tons of excellent images.  These look pretty fantastic to me.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikon_d5200/pool/

Cheers, Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow