My new D800 appears (possibly) less than new

Started Jan 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
Jon Pece Junior Member • Posts: 44
My new D800 appears (possibly) less than new

I just returned home from an extended trip and opened my new D800 that I bought at the $200 off sale price at the end of December from B&H.  I was a little surprised by the condition of my new camera.

I've received a number of new cameras over the years but have never experienced anything like this:

1) scuff marks like paint dust as if rubbed against a wall on top of the flash.
2) scratches and fingerprints on the plastic screen protector
3) the battery was at 32% (is it normally full? - or maybe not since it traveled so far?)
4) the time zone was set to London, and the date was sometime in February 2012 - not sure if this is normal either.
5) According to, the shutter count on my first image indicated that it was #2 - this seems normal, but I wonder if that number can be reset?

I called B&H and they checked the serial number - said it was brand new. The sales rep said I could take advantage of the 30 day return policy.  I'm thinking I'd lose the sale price if I returned it however.

Should I return this and forfeit the $200 savings?  The dust rubbed off the top of the flash and is clean now.  Am I being overly sensitive?  Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Jon Pece's gear list:Jon Pece's gear list
Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow