Best DSLR + lens combo for low light, indoor kid shots

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
John_A_G Veteran Member • Posts: 7,754
yes, back to reality

The notion that a parent needs a Nikon D4 or Canon 1dx is ludicrous.  Are they better at focus tracking than entry level?  Sure.  But the average parent doesn't need that.  And the average parent doesn't need to spend $6,000 on a camera body just to take family photos.

Entry level DSLRs have come a long way.  Canon's T4i, for example, has the same focus system as the 60D.  That focus system is pretty darn good.  I used to shoot sports in a professional capacity with a 20d.  I have shot with a 1d and I now shoot with a 5diii.  The notion that a parent needs to own a top end pro DSLR to take family photos is incorrect.

The flash used and the lens used are in many cases more important.  Which, of course, is why I use an external flash gun (and often bracket) when I'm taking indoor family photos at important events.  Those pieces of equipment on a t4i will produce much better results than a 1dx and no flash in many circumstances.  Now, when I shoot basketball - sure a 70-200 2.8 goes on instead of flash.

The bottom line here is the OP shouldn't waste all their money on a camera body.  That's a poor approach.  If they can afford the right flash, bracket, lens AND a top end camera - great.  If not, they're much better off saving on the body.

These were shots taken with a 20d.  The T4i has a better focus system than the 20d.  My 1dIII and 5dIII are better but the t4i with proper lens and flash is a great solution:

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow