Best DSLR + lens combo for low light, indoor kid shots

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
teddoman
OP teddoman Senior Member • Posts: 2,469
Sony vs Canon/Nikon/etc on EVF, IBIS, AF

Alphoid wrote:

Few points:

1. I wouldn't worry too much about the -1/2EV of Sony dSLTs. The mirror takes away. The image stabilization on fast primes giveth back.
  2. On OVF vs. EFV, EVF is much better for learning. If you know what you're doing -- it's a matter of personal preference. I personally prefer high quality EVFs to high quality OVFs, but many folks have the opposite preference.
  3. For used lenses, Sony is quite good. Older Minolta lenses become stabilized due to IBIS. For modern lenses, if you're unstabilized, Canon and Nikon are ahead. If you need stabilization, Sony is ahead.
  4. For focus systems, Nikon was in the lead for speed/accuracy if you do center point when I last looked. Sony, Panasonic, Olympus, and other EVF cameras are in the lead for picking what to focus on -- in fully automatic mode, they can do all the point-and-shoot tricks like face detection. This is quite nice for high speed action -- you don't have to set up AF tracking, and it generally just works.
  5. FF is around +1.4EV from APS, with the same lens and similar level of sensor technology.

Great points.

Interesting about EVF being better for learning. That definitely applies to me.

Regarding stabilization, is IBIS + unstabilized lenses generally equivalent in performance to an unstabilized body + stabilized lens? Seems like IBIS would be a lot more economical in the long run because you can use old lenses that you can buy for cheap. On FF, I think you need new Sony lenses to do a new AF mode I read about called AF-D, but I don't think Sony has AF-D on the APS-C bodies, so if I went APS-C on Sony, I wouldn't be sacrificing anything.

When you say FF is around +1.4EV from APS-C, what causes that? I'm not sure I understand why that would be, if you're saying the sensor tech is the same and it's not due to greater useable ISO range.

teddoman's gear list:teddoman's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a9 Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow