Gear of choice for stiched mountain panorama's?

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
RDMPhotos Regular Member • Posts: 235
How can I Stich too ?

LincolnB wrote:

Thin_Ice wrote:

I am looking for a leightweight compact combo that delivers results that really stand out (and have that exceptional "wow" factor).

- High end compact versus epl5 or epm2 versus OMD?

- kit lens versus 12/25/45/60 mm prime?

What combo gives the best possible stitched panorama?

A rock-solid tripod with level indicators and a head made with stitching in mind.

What would be your choice when weight and bulk restrictions are most important? At this moment i use an E420 with its kit lens. This combo has to much bulk, but i like to use the viewfinder.

I expect to take only one lens to the mountains. Personally i think epm2 + pl25 or OMD + pl25, that would also be a great general purpose combo. I would buy a cam with its kit lens and add 1 prime.

Thanks for your thoughts,

I stitch with whatever lens I have on. I don't think the gear makes all that much of a difference, although it can help. It's still the photographer that makes the difference.

Here's a 10 shot stitch, handheld, that I did yesterday with a $30 lens:

Great panorama... I Love it.....

But I have never done any panorama photos myself. I have no idea how to stitch photos together, and simply cutting and pasting them together in Photoshop seems tedious and hard.

I have taken many photos of landscapes with the hopes of stitching them together sometime later, but have not learned to do so yet.

I wish my GH2 had a panorama function built in like my friends Sony point and shoot camera does. OR i knew of a program that i can just drop 5 photos in and the computer figures them out and stitches them together..

Is there such a program out there?

RDMPhotos's gear list:RDMPhotos's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow