What 50mm lens are you using on your A99, and do you like it?

Started Jan 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
EarthQuake Senior Member • Posts: 2,382
Re: What 50mm lens are you using on your A99, and do you like it?

Carl Welsby wrote:

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.

Earthquake - there are caveats about Sigma lenses on some Sony models, notably A77 and A65, so I discounted it (shame though). Are there any A99 users using this Sigma lens that is doing so without problems?

If you buy a new Sigma lens today from a legit vender (ie: not someone selling new 3 year old stock) you shouldn't have any problems with any Sony SLT cameras. Even still, Sigma will update the lens if you have any issues, and I've sent two lenses to Sigma for serving in the past few years and the turn around time was about 14 days total each time.

Even if you buy used, Sigma will update the lens for a small fee, and I've heard of people getting the work done free even out of warranty, so I really wouldn't worry about it.

For the Sigma 50mm 1.4, there are two versions, one with the newer smooth finish, so that might be a good indicator. You may want to avoid the older version with the rougher "crackle" sigma type finish if you're buying used.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow