A 'hidden cost' of being a pro Locked

Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
OP PenguinPhotoCo Veteran Member • Posts: 6,284
Re: A 'hidden cost' of being a pro

Need a complete and current backup of everything - C and D drives (more than 1.2tb)

then copy all that over to the new machine - well, ok, not ALL of it - the data is easy. The settings for LR, CS, FF and others no so easy. It's not automatic AFAIK. Nor is fonts.
Much of the software I use is downloaded and I do save the ZIPs - but it's been upgraded/dated many times over.
And for every install you need the serial numbers and type them in.
then move over your CS5 presets, brushes, plug ins, fonts, etc. Same for LR.
OH, and you better get EVERY catalog and RAW file back exactly where it was or LR will be screwed up beyond words. Same for a few other programs I run where I don't choose to put the data in the default folder but on another drive (be that an external like some feel is the solution or an internal one).
What software to install? What plug ins? The top 5 are easy - you use them everyday. But you probably use 20 programs - ftp, lab ordering software (and the java it needs), check procesing software, IE and FF, scanner software, 5 printer drivers (yes, five - multifunction laser/scanner, dymo label printer, color laser, canon 6100 needs multiple things installed - and the current ones only please - and no I don't remember what I did 3 years ago when on the phone with canon for 45 minutes installing plug ins and updates and firmware  - does that need done again???), postage scale and printer, external drives, external check scanner/reader, wacom tablet, calibration software (for screens, camera, printer).
And then test that it all works...Oh wait, the scanner won't work...google...things need to be installed in the proper sequence in Win8 (since teh drivers are 4 years old and predate vista there are bugs...)
Yep, 45 minutes tops.
Nope, I know this is a long, PITA process. But most here seem to disagree - so just wait till it's your turn and lets talk again.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or it's administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me of course)

PenguinPhotoCo's gear list:PenguinPhotoCo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BAK
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
eNo
eNo
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow