Getting best Dynamic Range with OMD.

Started Jan 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
texinwien Veteran Member • Posts: 3,326
Re: For Example

tom60634 wrote:

All you've shown is that the ettr technique was not necessary for this particular shot.

That is incorrect.

Even if I do not use the entire DR of the captured image, exposing to the right will minimize noise.

Furthermore, I may choose to create another image from this RAW file by making different choices during post-processing that end up including all of the stops of DR that I recorded.

So you're wrong twice here. ETTR, even if all stops of DR recorded in the RAW are not used in the final resulting image, will result in an image with less noise. It also results in a RAW that can be processed to reveal a final image that uses all of the stops recorded in the RAW.

What my example shows, more than anything, is that your overly conservative practice of exposing to the left has absolutely no place in a discussion of how to maximize DR with the OM-D.

tex

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 OnePlus One Canon EOS 300D +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
GBC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow