100mm macro L vs non-L

Started Jan 7, 2013 | Questions thread
Antal I Kozma Senior Member • Posts: 2,480
Re: 100mm macro L vs non-L

keithinmelbourne wrote:

Vito Sutanto wrote:

i upgraded to L lens and compared non L lens, and the difference is in the dynamic range. the L lens gives better colour, and non L lens seems soft and washed out colour.

I think most photographers would be ecstatic if they thought they could improve dynamic range with a lens purchase.

Agreed, first time I have heard dynamic range improvement credited to a lens. Contrast maybe? That can be.

I am not a Canon user but I am always interested in keeping an eye at new optics from all leading brands. You know, the grass is alway greener on the other side of the fence.....

Anyhow, what I have read from reputable testers is that as of optical performance the difference between the two macro lenses is negligible in practical use. However, the L lens is weather sealed and has VR. My experience with VR in field use, with Micro Nikkor 105mm VR, is that it helps a lot when photographing butterflies hand-held with some surrounding included. Like 1:3 life size or so.

When you get closer than that VR uses its advantage significantly. I know this is not a very precise wording but that is how I can describe the usefulness of VR in close up photography.

Best to all, AIK

Antal I Kozma's gear list:Antal I Kozma's gear list
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Phase One Capture One Pro Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow