Just how tough can you be on these cameras?

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
eajames
eajames Regular Member • Posts: 167
Re: Just how tough can you be on these cameras?

Bajerunner wrote:

... Just wondering, how do you work out exposure for these?

Initially there is always some trial and error, but an iterative approach tends to work best.  Shutter speed is usually given top priority because it influences the patterns one captures. Blown highlights are a death blow but with most of the nighttime targets I've dealt with the histogram is initially bunched up to the left.  With the D300s I don't mind pushing ISO to 1000, but of course I prefer to stick with 200. My favorite lens for these shot is a 50mm 1.8 pancake (primarily because of its flight dynamics) and anything above f4 usually works well.  Higher f stops are preferred because estimating focus is challenging and one has their work cut of for them in trying to keep the sensor parallel to the target.

I shouldn't derail the thread any more, but if you're interested in trying it use a beater camera and -  first things first - take the strap off.  Join the Flickr group and send me a mail if you have questions.

For the purposes of this thread I should point out that despite the thousands or tosses of the D300s, I never dropped it, so all I can really attest to is that is handles centripetal force very well.  I've dropped a Canon G10 a dozen times or more (because of longer and less conservative flights), and it was still working when I gave it away.  (I was going to say "going strong when I gave it away" but that would be a bit generous.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
wpt
(unknown member)
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow