Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Michael Fryd
Michael Fryd Veteran Member • Posts: 8,251
Re: A 'hidden cost' of being a pro

Joe Federer wrote:

PenguinPhotoCo wrote:

That was my thoughts too.
First, assembling computers is not the best idea - economically it's cheaper to buy a system and add to it (if needed).

Thats' not true. I can build a much better computer than I can I buy pre-built for the same money.

It IS true if you don't know what you are doing. W

Doing things yourself only makes sense if you know what you are doing well enough such that the time you put in is worth less than what you would pay someone else to do it for you. In this case, it seems it would have been better for you to farm out your IT work.

Win8 sucks -- 30 years of UI improvements turned backwards in order to combine the interface with single-screen tablets.

The decision to do-it-yourself or hire-someone-to-do-it for you is a bit more complicated.

It's not just a matter of know-how.  There is also the issue of tools, access to support, the value of your time, and what you enjoy doing.

I know how to mow my lawn, yet I hire someone else to do it.  My lawn is small and I don't want to spend time buying, maintaining and storing a lawn mower for a few hundred square feet of grass.  I don't enjoy mowing this lawn, so I don't miss the experience.

The guy who cuts my grass does a lot of homes in my neighborhood.  He maintains his mower, stores it when he isn't here.  He even has an expensive edging tool for the 5 feet of edging I need.  It wouldn't make sense for me to buy a tool for such a small amount of edging.

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with mowing a lawn.  When I was younger and had an acre of grass, I used to take care of it myself and I enjoyed it.  Today, I am better off spending 15 minutes shooting photos to pay the guy, rather than spending an hour out in the hot Florida sun doing it myself.

I have a friend who built his own kitchen cabinets.  They're beautiful.  The raw materials for the cabinets cost him far less than having someone else build them.  On the other hand he has spent more on tools than of had just bought the damn things.  He also gave up 6 months of free time.  Was it worth it? Absolutely. He enjoyed making them, and he is proud of his accomplishment.  However that doesn't mean everyone should make their own kitchen cabinets (even if they have the skill to do so.)

With computers there are similar issues.  it's not just about whether or not you can do something, it's about whether you should and whether you want to.

An IT professional can justify spending time keeping abreast of the latest issue affecting computers.  He probably should have all the latest software and hardware tools.  Even the strange docking cables that only get used when you upgrade or repair a machine.

Sometimes it makes sense to hire an expert to do it for you.

To be fair, if you enjoy IT work, there's nothing wrong with designing, building and maintaining your own computer.  However when you consider the time spent keeping up to date, and the expense of keeping tools up to date, you shouldn't be surprised if doing it yourself costs more than having someone else do it.

Michael Fryd's gear list:Michael Fryd's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW130 Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BAK
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
eNo
eNo
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow