A 'hidden cost' of being a pro Locked

Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Michael Fryd
Michael Fryd Veteran Member • Posts: 6,796
Re: A 'hidden cost' of being a pro

PenguinPhotoCo wrote:

well...parts age and old parts are not reliable. The computer was 4.5 years old.All of it.

So an 'upgrade' may have been penny wise and pound foolish IMO/IME.

My kids computer died so I figured I could get me a new editing box (which was overdue) and put the old editing one to good use by giving it to them.
So an 'upgrade' was not an option.

RAID is not backup (it's hardware redundancy) and my backup wasn't on a raid. I have a C drive for programs and a D drive for data. I sync copy (not backup) the data drive. So I can either put that drive in the new box and make a sync copy or put a new drive in the box and copy (restore) the data to it. Same difference.
Won't do a damn bit of good for the C drive - the programs. As I was upgradeing the OS from Vista to Win8 any attempt to copy system/windows/root/installed programs/registry would have been me with absolute disaster.
I figure Macs would have the same issue - if you moved up 2 O/S versions much software would have to be reinstalled (whether they admit it or not). I know I saw a lot of 'complaints' with the last Mac OS upgrade and software not working with it.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57526698-263/apple-tackles-latest-os-x-issues-with-supplemental-updates/
Love this bit As always, be sure to back up your system before installing these updates, though in the case of the 10.7.5 update, you might not be able to do so if your backup services are not working properly.

Yep, macs are perfect and trouble free. And backups always restore as expected.
Uh huh. I love a good fairy tale as much as the next person. The reason for this thread is just that - things do not always go as expected.

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or it's administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me of course)

No computer is perfect.

You should always make sure you have a backup before performing any software installation or upgrade.  This is true of Mac, Windows, Linux, etc.

Generally, upgrades go smoothly on Macs.  Software that unexpectedly fails to work after an upgrade is the exception not the rule.  Sure it happens, but not that often.

As a matter of fact, about 3 months ago I handled upgrading my Mother-in-law's iMac.  She was 2 or 3 versions of the OS out of date.  I picked up a new iMac, ran a FireWire 800 cable from the old to the new, and it moved everything over.   5 minutes of setup, and then I let it run unattended for a few hours while it handled the move.

When she turned on her new Mac, her files, email, etc., were all waiting for her.

Of course the Mac has issues.  Of course the Mac has problems.  This just doesn't happen to be one of them.

Michael Fryd's gear list:Michael Fryd's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW130 Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BAK
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
eNo
eNo
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow