A 'hidden cost' of being a pro Locked

Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
OP PenguinPhotoCo Veteran Member • Posts: 6,284
Re: A 'hidden cost' of being a pro

well...parts age and old parts are not reliable. The computer was 4.5 years old.All of it.

So an 'upgrade' may have been penny wise and pound foolish IMO/IME.

My kids computer died so I figured I could get me a new editing box (which was overdue) and put the old editing one to good use by giving it to them.
So an 'upgrade' was not an option.

RAID is not backup (it's hardware redundancy) and my backup wasn't on a raid. I have a C drive for programs and a D drive for data. I sync copy (not backup) the data drive. So I can either put that drive in the new box and make a sync copy or put a new drive in the box and copy (restore) the data to it. Same difference.
Won't do a damn bit of good for the C drive - the programs. As I was upgradeing the OS from Vista to Win8 any attempt to copy system/windows/root/installed programs/registry would have been me with absolute disaster.
I figure Macs would have the same issue - if you moved up 2 O/S versions much software would have to be reinstalled (whether they admit it or not). I know I saw a lot of 'complaints' with the last Mac OS upgrade and software not working with it.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57526698-263/apple-tackles-latest-os-x-issues-with-supplemental-updates/
Love this bit As always, be sure to back up your system before installing these updates, though in the case of the 10.7.5 update, you might not be able to do so if your backup services are not working properly.

Yep, macs are perfect and trouble free. And backups always restore as expected.
Uh huh. I love a good fairy tale as much as the next person. The reason for this thread is just that - things do not always go as expected.

andrewD2 wrote:

PenguinPhotoCo wrote:

That was my thoughts too.
First, assembling computers is not the best idea - economically it's cheaper to buy a system and add to it (if needed).

Not having to re buy the case, drives, videocard, power supply, saves big money on a simple motherboard/CPU/memory upgrade. Not getting a cheap motherboard is priceless.

The data drives on the old computer were in a RAID array. The new computer does not have that feature - so just moving the HDs was not an option in any way.

That's a worry. A non RAID backup would be a very good idea in case of motherboard/RAID controller failure. I have 1 RAID, 5 non RAID copies. Presumably you need to reuse those drives that were in an array.

As to moving a C drive...I suppose it's possible. But when I replaced the mobo

If you changed a faulty motherboard out you DID just build your own machine, in effect. Same work as someone just upgrading but you couldn't choose your parts.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or it's administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me of course)

PenguinPhotoCo's gear list:PenguinPhotoCo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BAK
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
eNo
eNo
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow