A 'hidden cost' of being a pro Locked

Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
OP PenguinPhotoCo Veteran Member • Posts: 6,284
Re: A 'hidden cost' of being a pro

That was my thoughts too.
First, assembling computers is not the best idea - economically it's cheaper to buy a system and add to it (if needed).
The system I bought needed assembled by the manufacturer - talk to costco about that not me. I've bought other computers from them that show up in 2 days.
The data drives on the old computer were in a RAID array. The new computer does not have that feature - so just moving the HDs was not an option in any way.
As to moving a C drive...I suppose it's possible. But when I replaced the mobo windows noticed a change and wanted to be activated - I called support (as I needed the windows serial number) and the guy there told me i'd have to reinstall windows. I found a way around that -  SO MUCH FOR COMPUTER EXPERTS!

I spent 15 years as a repair technician on cars/motorcycles plus another 20 as a hobby and all that time as a car owner/user. Trust me that there are more idiots than good techs out there and the same applies to computers.
Also, I was keeping the old computer - so to move over the C drive would have made that impossible.
And it wasn't win7, but vista64. I never found vista to be as 'bad' as many claimed but it still has 'issues' at times doing weird things,  but let me tell you my experience with Windows 8 - GO GET IT NOW! It's a big improvement - think 3.11 to 3.0, or 95 to 3.11 or XP to Me.

Robert J. Gonzalez wrote:

You waited for weeks for something you could have assembled and had up and running yourself in an hour?

You move your old hard drive to the new system, done. No reinstalling anything. My oem version of windows 7 had no problem migrating to all new hardware, don't let microsoft snow you. It activated fine over the internet.

There are costs for professionals, then there's costs for consumer.

No offense, but you're a consumer. Your vcr blinked 12:00...12:00...12:00, didn't it?

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or it's administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me of course)

PenguinPhotoCo's gear list:PenguinPhotoCo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BAK
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
eNo
eNo
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow