A flash decision - do I need TTL?

Started Jan 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Dave Oddie Veteran Member • Posts: 4,133
Re: ADI

bruce wrote:

On Sony cameras it is not called TTL it is known as ADI - Advance Distance Integration. Read about it here http://alphastrobist.wordpress.com/what-is-adi-flash-metering/

Sony camera have both ADI and pre-flash TTL (called just that) and the latter will be used non-adi lenses by default and you need to use it if you bounce the flash or use wireless flash I believe.

In any case both use a pre flash with ADI also adding in the distance to the calculation so both potentially suffer from the lazy eye effect.

The gap between the pre-flash and the main flash is much shorter on my A77 than on my old A100.  I could detect the two flashes on that but can't on the A77 and I attribute the better success with much fewer lazy eye shots I have photographing my son (with flash) to this.

Dave Oddie's gear list:Dave Oddie's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 11-18mm F4.5-5.6 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 500mm F8 Reflex +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow