Best DSLR + lens combo for low light, indoor kid shots

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
teddoman
OP teddoman Senior Member • Posts: 2,477
advantages of professional full frame cameras

Rich Rosen wrote:

A full frame sensor will give you greater dynamic range, better low light performance and great latitude in cropping. All of these cameras give you good low light latitude, but you also should

Dynamic range and latitude in cropping I get. What exactly is the type of better low light performance? Some examples would be great. I'm trying to figure out the typical advantages in marginal low light or motion situations to decide if it's worth the upgrade to me. Is it the difference between getting certain shot in focus vs not getting it in focus on a Nikon D5100 because the D5100 was focus hunting, or lost track of the subject, or the subject tracking was just running a bit behind the subject (the latter happens on my compact all the time), for example? Just trying to figure out what it means in concrete photography terms to go with pro full frame equipment.

teddoman's gear list:teddoman's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a9 Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow