new Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 again? But now with weather sealing for sports?

Started Jan 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,849
Re: Sigma needs better planning

joger wrote:

I need no lens at all - photography is my leisure interest - it's about passion, enthusiasm and good time with friends pent together photographing - a bit of competition and most of all fun.

So no real ned for anything!!

That's the reason why I don't want to loose money on lenses - it is an interest that changes over time. Who knows what comes next - maybe a µ43s lens with 150 mm f/1.8 and a significantly improved sensor with total 1/2 the weight of my current camera lens combination??

IMHO absolutely doable and then I'd be willing to go a different route - who know?

BTW - I'd not pack an 1D body in my rucksack or even worse in a trolley - that's the reason why I'd not buy a heavy 120-300 - for the same weight I got the 70-200 f/4.0 AND the 300 f/2.8 II and cover everything from 70 till 600 mm in nearly flawless quality and I might sell my 70-200 f/4.0 and 300 f/2.8 II one day with very limited or no losses.

Just a few thoughts - if you don't mind the corner weakness of the 120-300 at 600 mm please feel free to spend you money.

I will rent it once it is available and test the 600 mm performance at 2/3rds image hight wide open and post it here.

This kind of fast lenses is meant for being used wide open - but the important details is not always in the middle of the frame - that would be boring IMHO.

The 120-300 is surely a good buy for those on a budget - but yet - 3k EUR is no budget lens and you could get other options.

How about the 135 f/2.0 plus a 300 f/2.8 ?? that easily cover the range of the 120-300 at a completely different quality level - forget about the 1D bodies for arctic explorers

We will soon see an improved 7D II for a fraction of the cost of a 1D IV and with better performance and most of all lighter!!

Just my thoughts

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I fully agree that the word "need" is a bit misplaced. Most people don't need the stuff they buy, but enjoy them nonetheless. That's how it started with my 7D. I simply wanted to reward myself after earning my MSc degree and a grant for my PhD.

I'm in a pretty easy situation now where I only recently bought the 100-400L and can't spend much for at least another year due to the end of my contract. I can't take risks when I'm not sure about my income, but that does give room to carefully consider what I would like next. A second hand 300/2.8L IS could be an option, but Sigma is getting better and I can just watch their developments for a while.

I'm not too bothered about the weight of the body and would actually consider a 1DmkIV if the 7DmkII is not a solid improvement over the 7D. Being able to AF at f/8 still tops my wishlist and second hand 1DmkIV bodies go for reasonable prices.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow