new Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 again? But now with weather sealing for sports?

Started Jan 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
bigfatron Contributing Member • Posts: 757
Re: Sigma needs better planning

Wyville wrote:

bigfatron wrote:

Unfortunately not everyone is in a position to drop £5000 on a lens, hence we don't all walk around with a 1D and a trolley full of big Canon L primes. And hence a gap in the market exists for more modestly priced super-tele lenses. Of course there will some compromises if the price is substantially lower.

Although i've never understood why its such an underoccupied space in the market. The Canon pump zooms, whilst undoubtedly decent and have sold fairly well, are a bit long in the tooth now. I would've hoped they would've at least updated them by now. And as I mentioned before, they've never had a zoom lens I can think of thats been f4 or better in the 300mm range (excepting the forthcoming 200-400 L which again will be a price way out of the reach of most people).

This is what I was referring to a bit earlier. I really think Sigma would do well to look at developing a few good, modestly priced super-teles. The Canon 400/5.6 has always been an amazing lens, but it could really do with an update. If Sigma made a 400/5.6 OS with the same specs as the latest 120-300mm it would draw a lot of people to Sigma who otherwise would not have considered third party lenses. (At least, that is the case for me.) The same thing for updated versions of Sigma's 300/2.8 and 500/4.5.

Sigma is getting pretty good quality lenses that are no longer "budget" options in the negative sense. They're much more "enthusiast" options. I don't need the exotic Canon lenses, but would like some good quality and features. Sigma seems to be getting there with the new Sports line.

Yes, absolutely agree the 400 f.5.6 could use a refresh/competition. Always been surprised the Sigma 100-300 f4 EX was never updated too. Had one until very recently and an OS equipped version with updated optics would've sold quite well if they kept a lid on price.

The Sigma 300 f2.8 has always been an odd beast as most reviews i've ever read have always said the 120-300 zoom has been as good/better.

bigfatron's gear list:bigfatron's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow