My Yellow Brick Camera Arrived

Started Jan 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
JNR
JNR Veteran Member • Posts: 3,084
Re: My Yellow Brick Camera Arrived

Fl_Gulfer wrote:

Dosen't the beep go off when it's in focus like the K-5? I'm shooting in Manual Focus and there isn't a red box or a beep when you hit in focus.

It is a different kind of focusing system - contrast detect. First, be sure to update the firmware from Pentax to get your better AF set up. When shooting in MF (whether it is a MF or AF lens), you don't get any beeps and you don't have a designated focus area. When you hit the "OK" button in MF situations, you will magnify the scene to 2x, 4x, or 6x (dial to adjust it), and that should allow you to focus precisely. You can move the area of magnification in the same way as the K-5.

This is the only focusing aid other than peaking; no confirmation beep or light. Once you get used to it, especially when using fast, quality lenses - you will find it to be much more precise than any optical VF/screen manually focused. This becomes even more apparent if you spend a few bucks on a 3x loupe, isolating external light and allowing you to skip the camera magnification process in many instances.

-- hide signature --

JNR
www.jamesrobins.com

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Pentax K-3 Fujifilm X-T20 Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 XS Lens Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow