D800 or 8000E

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Leo360 Senior Member • Posts: 1,141
Re: moire in DX mode: D800E versus D800
1

Lance B wrote:

Leo360 wrote:

Lance B wrote:

Leo360 wrote:

Lance B wrote:

Leo360 wrote:

The common practice of most manufactures is to equip a 16MP sensor with a AA filter. But D800E in DX mode is a 15MP camera with no AA filter. Are there any extra moire concerns (or other aliasing effects) when shooting D800E in DX mode??

It will be no different than in FX mode.

Surely, aliasing effects will be different in DX and FX mode. For the same scene you have different spatial sampling frequencies.

I don't see why. DX is just a crop of FX, either in camera or in post process.

No, DX shooting mode is not just a crop of FX shooting mode.

Well, actually it is. If you shoot a 50mm lens in DX mode on the D800 camera it is exactly the same as shooting 50mm on the D800 camera in FX mode and then cropping to 50mm post process to match the image size of a DX camera.

To capture the same scene (the same angle of view) in DX mode the focal distance is reduced by 2/3 compared to the FX mode. The same field of view in DX is sampled by a smaller sensor (16MP) rather than the full 36MP sensor and aliasing artifacts (moire, etc) could happen more often.

I see we are at cross purposes and this is a slightly different scenario and you are really not comparing like with like and defeats the purpose of using a different format to some degree. See below.

I am actually comparing apples to apples. The scene is the same, the angle of view is the same. The only things different are the sensor size, the focal length (to preserve angle of view) and the aperture f-number (to preserve the DOF). And then DX and FX  have different angular sampling rates and this is what matters for aliasing.

Circumstantial evidence suggests that cameras under 24MP do all have AA filter and cameras 36MP and up could get by without it. D800E is three cameras at once (36, 24, 15MP) without AA filtering. I am curious if this poses any problem for DX mode shooters.

What you are suggesting is that if you crop the D800 to DX, either in camera or post process, that you would get more moire than in FX mode, when compared to another DX camera like the D7000. This is possibly true in that scenario, which you didn't really make clear in your original post, but I have not encountered this at all as it is just the FX cropped, moire is the same for both FX and DX.

Sorry, for not being clear enough in my original post. I am thinking of using D800E as a DX camera sometimes. In this case it becomes something like D7000 with no AA filter. And I wonder whether D7000 without AA suffers from aliasing to some appreciable degree.

My original assumption gleaned from your original post is that you were saying that moire is more apparent in the FX 36Mp image than it would be on the same 36Mp image cropped to 16Mp DX, but this should not be the case as it is the same image and the moire is the same. However, if you crop the FX image to DX and then view larger, then the evidence of moire, that may already be there, may become more apparent as it is then a larger image and therefore easier to see, but the fact is, moire is the same for both DX or FX.

Sorry but I disagree. Moire propensity depends on sampling rate and for the same scene DX sampling rate is 2/3 of the FX sampling rate for the same pixel pitch. Moire will be different.

Leo

 Leo360's gear list:Leo360's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow