Canon G2X

Started Jan 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Marco Nero
Marco Nero Veteran Member • Posts: 5,550
Re: Canon G2X & full-frame sensors...

PR perhaps? Or product (and brand) worshipping from photo fanatics?

I've loved all your work produced with the G1X. Your writings about it are authoritative in shape and I believe truthful or at least well intentioned. Do you have some connection to Canon? Or its just some really well educated guesses? Just curious.

Eduardo

I still have connections with Canon although I wouldn't divulge knowledge of a new model if something was on the way (assuming of course that someone made that information available to me) because it would impact on the sales of existing model cameras and not in a good way either. Also, I wouldn't try to bump up the sales of any camera that I didn't have respect for myself either by endorsing something that I didn't use myself or didn't see as worthy. Any guesswork or opinions I have is usually always based on Canon's past actions and past behavior. They are quite predictable so it's easy to tell when they will play their hand. You can also predict when new models will be unleashed based on the offerings from rival companies. Canon pay far more attention to what Nikon do than what Sony and Samsung release. They are old rivals but they play nicely together. Canon don't allow other companies (like Sony or Fuji) to dictate what they will release or when they will release it.

I'd like to see Canon push for innovation over profit but they can't risk it with so many players now in the camera industry vying for customer's wallets.

I'd like to see a G2X but I'm not anticipating one. There WILL be another EOS-M model designed for Pro-users and Canon has made this fact public knowledge. The G1X is a fine enough camera for many serious photographers today and there's little offering from other manufacturers to force Canon to release something too radical at this time. HOWEVER, if you look at patents lodged in recent months, Canon are likely to release some very advanced sensors in the next two years. One patent covers a sensor which has alternating patterns of phase-contrast type detection cells placed in vertical and horizontal grids on the sensor... and this is to allow the camera to focus quickly and without "hunting" for focus-lock and for the target to be focused quickly. That assumption is based on the wording of the patent application which said that the patent-applied product is likely to be applied to an interchangeable lens camera.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Jim
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow