New to digital photography...software question

Started Jan 5, 2013 | Questions thread
9VIII Junior Member • Posts: 33
Re: New to digital photography...software question

evetsf wrote:

It really surprises me that no-one here has mentioned the free, yes, absolutely free, photo-editing software alternative to Photoshop or Photoshop Elements.

It's call the GNU Image Manipulation Program, or GIMP. It's an Open Source photo editor, so it's absolutely free for the download, and it's really a very powerful beast all on its own. It's also expandable through plug-ins and RAW-image-processing applications that know how to interact with it. It runs on Windows, Mac OS X and LINUX.

I've been using GIMP for years now, and it's been fully capable of anything I want to do with an image; I've not been tempted to pay $$ for a commercial product.

Give it a try by downloading it from http://www.gimp.org/

Steve

Sweet! I totally forgot about that. (It's one of those things that seems to come with a lot of distros, but I never really paid attention to it.)

One search and two clicks later I have it installed. Thank goodness I don't have to re-boot to manage RAW files any more.

9VIII's gear list:9VIII's gear list
Canon EOS 1100D Fujifilm X-E3 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow