Do you think the image of SD14(SD15/DP1/2) is cleaner than that of SD1m(DP1m/2m) ?

Started Jan 12, 2013 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Roland Karlsson Forum Pro • Posts: 24,843
Re: The Clark Article is Simply Wrong

xpatUSA wrote:

Looks like we're approaching agreement - I do agree that down-sampling, properly done, can improve IQ.

Yepp

As far as S/N ratio is concerned, I'm not certain that well-depth can simply be increased for a Foveon sensor because it's layers have to be at specific depths:

As to "some kind of clever dynamic range enhancement", can't really respond to such speculation - sorry.

For Foveon, I assume both are out of the question. Foveon pixels are enough complicated already.

But ... for ordinary sensors (with Bayer filters) thats a totally different story.

Lets say that you have

R X
G B

Instead of

R G
G B

Where X is a sensor without filter. Then that pixel would be moire sensible, digging deeper in the shadows.

X could also be a dark grey filter. That could improve high light properties.

There are other solutions. One could make the detectors logarithmic by making them less sensitive when they are charged. Possible? I dont know

What I do know though is that there is lots of reseach on this topic and that consumer products generally dont use the result from such research, for some reason

-- hide signature --
 Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow