new Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 again? But now with weather sealing for sports?

Started Jan 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
joger
OP joger Veteran Member • Posts: 4,605
Re: Sigma needs better planning

RedFox88 wrote:

Lenses are not cameras, they can last a very long time. Canon has many lenses that have not been updated in 20 years. It's just not fair to their customers to launch a lens then 2 years later update it with OS or in this case weather sealing.

fully agree!

Make it right the first time. Leaving this or that feature for the next overhauling in a cycle of a few years (in this case hardly more then one year) leaves a certain impression. That's also why I could not belief what I read initially. Belief it or not - but I was thinking I must be wrong with reading the press release.

I am not saying that manufacturers should not make updates when they are in favor of us all and if a new version brings significant advantages it should be done - but doing it every two or three years with a product where a normal life cycle is more in the magnitude of decades rather then years it is a clear signal that something in the management must be wrong.

BTW the 5D III is IMHO no worthy upgrade compare to the 5D II too - that's why I skip it and why I am very disappointed of the behavior of Canon!! (Was ready to spend some cash on a significantly better 5D II and shifted the money towards my 300 f/2.8 II then - which was surely the cleverer decision)

I've been working in software business and every new Microsoft service package was a welcome option to sell a maintenance package or a new version of our software - I hated it!!

Sigma seems to play with lots of tricks to sell more lenses rather then to operate on a quality level that supports their new advertised strategy.

Having said that - I am curious how good the 120-300 f/2.8 sport behaves on a 2x III extender and what the performance wide open it would give.

As soon as Sigma Germany puts their new toy on rental service I will give it a try - just out of curiosity.

I also encourage all 120-300 f/2.8 owners to do the same with the 300 f/2.8 II plus a 2x III extender and try it wide open - but beware - you might be tempted to buy one

(If I'd be tempted to buy a 120-300 sport, I'd surely do it after a positive test but looking at the Albatross couple at f/11 and 1/2000 second at 269 mm I rather doubt that - my 300 plus 2x is sharper then that at f/5.6 and 600 mm - btw the 300 f/2.8 II degrades visibly at F/11 and 600 mm due to diffraction - as expected)

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Leica APO-Telyt-M 135mm f/3.4 ASPH Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow