D600 kit from B&H. Did they send a returned camera?

Started Jan 12, 2013 | Questions thread
NikonManSoCal Regular Member • Posts: 205
Re: I believe your D600 has been "tried" by other B&H customer before you

ADMint wrote:

NikonManSoCal wrote:

Patco wrote:

NikonManSoCal wrote:

B&H would NOT send you a returned product sold as new.

Why would you think that? Henry Posner of B&H has said more than once this is OK to sell returned merchandise as new:

" Does B&H ever repack, or do they just toss it back into inventory?

We are very strict about returned merchandise. Each piece is individually inspected. That means that when the customer's parcel gets to us, it's unpacked by our staff, each piece inspected and then the whole thing repacked. If it's in as-new condition, according to our strict standards, it's returned to inventory. If not, depending on circumstances, it's marked "open box" and sold that way at a discount, or returned to the customer."

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/1944032

There have been a number of threads on this subject, like these:

Just got my used Rebel XT, is this common?

Does BH sell returned items to customers as new?

And a bunch more:

https://www.google.ca/search?num=100&hl=en&safe=off&tbo=d&q=not+illegal+to+sell+returned+as+new+henryp+site%3Adpreview.com&oq=not+illegal+to+sell+returned+as+new+henryp+site%3Adpreview.com&gs_l=serp.3...94791.102941.0.103515.14.13.1.0.0.0.80.891.13.13.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.yzQSHHWhoLA

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels

Wow well I read through literally all these post above - looks like I stand corrected. My apologies. B&H has always 'told me' that they do not re-sell old returned stock as new and either return it to the manufacturer of sell it as open box - I had no prior reason to not believe that.

I am now re-evaluating my opinion of B&H based on this information.

I can pretty much guarantee B&H isn't the only one doing this. Think about it, how many items get returned for whatever reason only to be found that there is nothing wrong with them? Do you really think companies are going to take loses on those items?

When I swapped out my D800 for a D800E, it was only then that I realized my 800 was used. The D800E's packaging was much more "pristine", and it had the warranty card included, the 800 didn't.

Anyway, this is why it's always wise to check the packaging and items when you first get them. I also recommend going to the manufacturer’s site to compare what's in the box to what you actually received. If all isn't right, return the item immediately.

Personally, if at all possible, you should pick up very expensive items in store and inspect before leaving. Though there's no guarantee you won't miss anything, it's better than a blind on-line sale.

My two cents

-- hide signature --

New to this forum, not to forums!

Makes sense - it is what is so it appears.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
eNo
eNo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow