Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 23,508
Very true

WIMorrison wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

TAM63 wrote:

Craig49 wrote:

Thanks again!

At faster shutter speed,on tripod, vr off, 1/200, pic focus quality is virtually identical between phase and contrast detection for my 70-300 at 300, zero focus fine tuning.

Same lighting, higher ISO, same distance. So my setup seemed as if it was perfectly adequate...it's just my inexperience with mirror slap vs shutter speed.

So how do 'you' shoot pics below 1/200 ss ? Live view only? I would guess this isn't so much of an issue with a smaller lens than the 70-300, such as the 12-24.

Craig

I always thought, handheld, that conventional wisdom said shutter speed should be at least 1/lens mm - i.e. for a 300mm lens, 1/300 of a second.

People are starting to use another formula for the new generation of higher pixel density cameras. In the case of D7000/D5100/D800 or newer, it's generally recommended to use 1/1.5lens mm - i.e. for 300mm lens, 1/450s. Of course that's with out VR and just a recommended hand held min shutter speed. Seems to work though.....not looking to close helps also Good Luck and have a great weekend.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

I think that this is people allowing for the crop factor with dx sensors rather than anything to do with the camera resolution

True and good point, but starting to come up more and more...it's come up regards the D800 as well specifically related to the 36mp pixel density (same pixel density as D7000) and some pointing out the need to perhaps up the min in DX as well. Have to see what 24mp in DX does. It also seems directly related to how close you view. !00% on D7000 is way different than 100% on D70. Very different from simply viewing full frame.

-- hide signature --

Iain Morrison LRPS CPAGB
wimorrison.co.uk

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow