new Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 again? But now with weather sealing for sports?

Started Jan 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
bigfatron Contributing Member • Posts: 757
Re: new Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 again? But now with weather sealing for sports?

joger wrote:

bigfatron wrote:

joger wrote:

bigfatron wrote:

. . . As for the OP's post, its funny how Sigma updating the 120-300 so soon has been extrapolated to mean Sigma replace all their lenses on a regular basis.

of course Sigma is not making lots of lenses for the same purpose over time

These are the 70-200 AF lenses from the last 12 or 14 years out of my head

• 70-200 F2.8 EX APO
  • 70-200 F2.8 EX DG
  • 70-200 F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM
  • 70-200 F2.8 EX DG Macro II HSM
  • 70-200 F2.8 EX DG OS HSM

To my best knowledge the first four a obsolete now

Compared with that the 120-300 is a conservative approach with only 3 versions in the last years

For me this looks like a pattern - bing out a new version every now and then to get customers attracted again.

In the same time frame Canon introduced

• 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM
  • 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM II
  • 70-200 f/2.8 L USM
  • 70-200 f/4.0 L IS USM
  • 70-200 f/4.0 L USM

Thats over a 12 year period and in many cases the differences are extremely minor. Like the first two all that changed was the coating used on the glass, so hardly like the first one became obsolete overnight. Certainly with a 100-300 f4 I owned then that was the only real difference between the DG and non-DG version, and both sold for similar money second hand.

And that is another distinction, there is a massive difference between 'discontinued' and 'obsolete'. Would you consider the Canon 300 f2.8 L IS obsolete now there is a Mk II?

As for 'getting customers attracted', perhaps its just Sigma wanting to keep improving products in a very competitive marketplace.

yes I would regard the 300 f/2.8 (I) as obsolete - simply because Canon has officially announced that they stopped the official support of the lens and thus spare parts will not be produced any more.

This will lead to a shortage of spare parts sooner or later - if you happen to have one you better upgrade to the current one.

Well you're looking at a roughly net £2000 outlay to upgrade based on prices i've seen for Mk I's second hand.  A not-insignificant sum for what are largely marginal performance gains.  I'm not aware of any common issues with them breaking down after x years so alot of people with one might think they'll just keep what they've got.

I am not familiar with the spare part situation at Sigma but I'd guess that for the earlier versions it is now hard to get a front lens or the AF motor . . .

Same situation as everyone else, if no one has any spares left you buy a 2nd hand donor lens and use that. And as has already been said, with some of the Sigma upgrades then the changes are incremental so some parts for the new version are still applicable to the old.

The lenses till work and if they have been optically good why should anyone not use them.

But with modern lenses (all of them including Canon, Nikon and Sony) I am not so sure how long they will last with all the IS, VR and OS technology inside

But that#s a pure guessing - nobody has long term experiences of 10++ years - Zeiss and Leica lenses (being purely mechanical) seem to last almost forever - I am sure modern designs might be a bit more prone to fading

Depends on good design, materials and manufacturing and Zeiss and Leica were rightly renowned for that. In theory if its well designed and made then electronic gizmos in lenses should last longer than mechanical parts because there is less to wear out/physically break.

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

bigfatron's gear list:bigfatron's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow