new Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 again? But now with weather sealing for sports?

Started Jan 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
joger
OP joger Veteran Member • Posts: 4,524
Re: Does this mean...

Wyville wrote:

joger wrote:

Wyville wrote:

. . . a 300/2.8 seems a pretty decent balance between size, weight, reach and performance.

correct - used it in Venice this year as a walkaround lens - not the lens many might use but it worked for me very fine had a monopod in the backpack but used it only occasionally - 5DII plus 300 f/2.8 II is roughly the weight of the bare 120-300 including quick mount plate from RRS

here are some examples:

most are handheld and improvised - my 70-200 stays in the rucksack most of the time now - the rest of the time I like my TS-E 17 and 135 f/2.0 - too tempting to play with the other two primes instead of a mediocre zoom (and the 70-200 f/4.0 l IS USM is not a bad lens)

Great images!

The big advantage is being able to also use a 2x TC and have a 600mm, which is great for bird photography. I've seen samples of the 300/2.8 II with the 2x TC and they are amazingly good. That makes it a very versatile lens.

Thx  - that's it in a nutshell - use it maybe 60% of the Time with 1.4x and 2x wide open - with stunning results

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Leica APO-Telyt-M 135mm f/3.4 ASPH Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow