EF 17-40mm f/4L or EF 28mm f/1.8 Prime? I own 50mm

Started Jan 12, 2013 | Questions thread
wildplaces
wildplaces Senior Member • Posts: 1,106
Re: EF 17-40mm f/4L or EF 28mm f/1.8 Prime? I own 50mm

I have the 17-40L, and I used it with my 40D a walk around lens at the start.  I've since found myself using the new 40mm f2.8 pancake prime as my walkaround lens.  If you find this focal length works for you, I highly recommend it as a walk around lens for nature and people shots.   I had been using my old Asahi Pentax 50mm f1.4 (didn't really need autofocus for my purposes) and recently added the amazing Sigma 345mm f1.4 as an indoor low light standard lens on the APS-C 40D (yes, its resolution is exceptional in my personal testing of the lens) but it's more expensive than the 40mm pancake or 17-40L, and the Sigma 35mm f1.4 weighs a ton if your walking in the woods or working with people.  When I walk in the woods these days, I put the 40mm f.28 pancake (it can be had for $149) on the 40D and take along a 100mm macro for longer or macro shots.

You can see a few photos I took with that combo in a local nature sanctuary a couple weeks ago at http://www.wildplaces.me/Nature/Bedford/December-30-2012/27351486_27gFcB

AJ153 wrote:

I need some advice! I own the Canon 60D with a 50mm 1.4 USM lens. I'm more into taking video, nature shots, or group pictures with friends. At times I found the 50mm hard to manage indoors when recording something or getting a group shot. Taking many steps back, to get what I need (and at times its impossible with restricted area) I was wondering if I should get a 28mm or 35mm. I was watching DigitalRev which got me to lean more on the 28mm, cos they say 35 is really close to 50mm. I don't mind getting close when taking pictures, but I just something else in the bag if I'm restricted to space and can't back up. Suggestions?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow