a longtime d7000 & d5100 user's thoughts

Started Jan 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
mosswings Veteran Member • Posts: 8,954
Re: a longtime d7000 & d5100 user's thoughts

toomanycanons wrote:

evan47 wrote:

lynngator wrote:

I love my D5100 and thank toomanycanons for his advice on settings. I'll soon be posting some photos I've taken with this wonderful new camera. Glad I sold my D90 to get it!

you sold a d90 to get a d5100? its the last thing i would have done.

Well of course. In your mind, why would you sell your full featured Pro D90 body for a point and shoot? BTW, I sold one D90 to buy a D7000, sold my other D90 to get a D5100, then sold my D7000. Different strokes yeah?

Evan47, that's not really fair. There's no rule that says if your needs change you can't go "downmarket"; lynngator bought a camera that offered an upgrade in image quality and high-ISO performance over her D90 with essentially the same AF module as her D90 in a more compact form factor. Yes, she lost some direct controllability and a big viewfinder, can still take every bit as good a picture as she could with the larger camera. In a market in which the advances at the higher end of each generation rapidly find their way to the lower end of the market, staying at the high end is not always the most beneficial course for an individual.

I suspect that the D5200 is going to have the same effect when it comes out. It's incorporated most of the essential good stuff from the D7000. The D7000 replacement will be great, but for most folks the D5200 will be more than fine. The only thing it should have really had - particularly at this resolution level and directed as it is towards the lower end of the market, is AF fine-tuning - but an automatic version using Liveview/viewfinder AF comparision, for example. And yes, I'm on my soapbox.

As for the OP's problems, if a single lens and your D5100 worked reasonably well but your D7000 (with AF fine tuning turned off) didn't, that doesn't mean that the D7000 is miscalibrated...Nikon service was likely right about that, based on their testing that uses a reference 50mm lens. It could just as easily have been a fortuitous combination of lens and D5100 miscalibrations that compensated for each other. The only way to tell would have been to send both your lens and body back for individual calibration and compatibility check. Nikon recommends this be done periodically anyway, particularly for bodies without AF fine tuning. Now if you have multiple lenses and they all show similar errors, then you can argue that something's peculiar with the D7000.

Now, with regards to your test shot...Shooting through a glass or plastic window (or the jewel box of a CD) is not a particularly good way of judging AF.  Unfortunately, although PDAF is usually pretty good at ignoring the effects of the intervening layer, it can be tricked...and you're comparing radically different AF systems, one with much smaller focus zones and more complex behaviors.  It would be better to tape the label to the top of the jewel box to produce a target with no refractive errors.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus Stylus 1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow