Nikon D800 or Oly OM-D?

Started Jan 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
zxaar Veteran Member • Posts: 4,098
Re: Nikon D800 or Oly OM-D?

String wrote:

jim stirling wrote:

My typical carry about FF kit consists of the D800, 14-24, Sigma 34mm F1.4 and the 105mm VR macro. It weighs in at just over 3kg, regarding image quality, the D800 easily outperforms every lens camera, the lenses give better DOF control with no equivalents in mFT lenses . You would need a 7-14 F1.4 , 17mm f.07 ,and 50mm macro at F1.4. Now this humongous , cumbrous,ponderous load hits the scales at 3.2 kg now to put this in perspective the average kids school bag weighs in at 6.6kg with 80% regularily carrying over 20% of their body weight . I am 6ft 4 and weigh in at just over 14st , so I probably weigh more than double what a school kid does , so I would need to be carrying a 13kg+ load constantly just to put the same strain as as a school kid. To match the 20% of bodyweight ( which is clearly not good for a kid ) my load would have to be at least 18kg.

For those of us who use DSLR gear as well as mFT , maybe we need a new phrase to describe the mFT " it's too heavy!!!" brigade.

Let's go positive " are you so strong you have moved from P&S to mFT in the search for image quality "

Or maybe negative "are you too weak for a real camera but want better quality than a P&S and will settle for mFT"

Jim

Do much backpacking Jim? You know, where we're actually trying to shed a gram here or there let alone a pound? Why do they make CF tripods when aluminum is "almost" as light?

Just for grins; an equivilant OM-D setup: OM-D 13oz, 7-14 f4 10oz, 17 2.8 2.5oz and a 60 2.8 macro 6.5oz. For a grand total of 32oz or .9Kg. So we have 3.2Kg vs. .9Kg or 6.7lbs vs 2lbs.

Is the ultimate image quality as good? Probably not however its good enough for most people and you know what... most of us knew that going in! Believe it or not, it's really not a surprise.

I'm glad that you can carry lots of weight. I'm glad that you actually want to carry lots of weight. However please don't criticize those that don't Some of us are getting up in age (me), some have kids (me again), some of us actually have disabled kids who require help (what do ya know, me yet again!).

Go spend a week hiking in the mountains. Spend a few days with young (or disabled) kids doing Disneyland and have yourself a blast with your D800.

A smart backpacker would be carrying pentax Q or RX100 etc, OMD etc are too heavy.

-- hide signature --

::> Knowledge is mother of efficiency.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MT
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow