Automatic AF point selection. Who uses this?

Started Jan 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
DrewE Senior Member • Posts: 2,053
Re: Automatic AF point selection. Who uses this?

icexe wrote:

Is there something about this feature that I'm just not getting? Is there anyone who uses Auto AF point selection as their preferred method for focusing, and if so, can you give some advice on how to get it to select the correct subject in the frame in a more consistent way?

Well, I guess I buck the trend somewhat; I use multi-point AF most of the time with AF lenses.  (A fair amount of the time I use manual focus lenses, where of course there's no choice in the matter.)  Auto AF point selection is good for quick snapshots where there's not much time to figure out which point you'd ideally use.

It seems to me that the basic algorithm Pentax uses is to go with the AF point(s) that see usable details closest to the camera.  There's doubtless more to it than just that, but it seems to generally hold.  If the intended subject isn't the closest thing in the frame, it can well be frustrating.

-- hide signature --

--DrewE

DrewE's gear list:DrewE's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow