D800e AF settings confusion

Started Jan 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rich42 Regular Member • Posts: 236
D800e AF settings confusion

Button programming Hell.

On my D800e, I have AF assigned to the AF-ON button. The shutter button is set to fire the shutter whether image is focused or not (Release setting?).

I am using a remote cable plugged into the 10-pin socket.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I am fairly certain that until today, with the above settings, partially pressing the remote release button actuated AF, then a full press fired the shutter. But today, the remote release is not operating that way. It only fires the shutter (with a full press). The only way the camera will AF is with the AF-ON button.

At first I thought there was something wrong with the cable, but another cable works the same.

I am totally confused with these settings. And getting more confused the more I try to get the situation sorted out.

Have I just remembered the camera's behavior wrong and was it unable to focus with a partial press of the cable button while AF is removed from the shutter button and assigned to AF-ON? Or have I inadvertently screwed up the settings and was the camera functioning the way I think I remember it?

Is it possible there is suddenly something wrong with the 10-pin connector circuits?

Is there a way to have AF assigned to AF-ON, removed from the shutter button, and still have the remote cable achieve AF with a partial button press?

Thanks,

(confused) Rich

Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow