Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Pal2012 Regular Member • Posts: 368
Re: Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?

captura wrote:

Pal2012 wrote:

captura wrote:

Herts_JoaTMoN wrote:

obviously there are various complexeties when making your choice, but at the simplest level id say if you shoot wide angle for the next if your shoot tele get the oly. I've ended up going with 2 systems, If i could have affordd the oly i would have got it but settled for a heavily discounted nikon v1 for my tele use, and a nex for my wide and legacy lens use.

Good luck with what every you choose.

I also have 2 systems. 2 NEX's and 2 m43.

I disagree with one point you made: "if you shoot wide angle for the nex"

Imho the m43 has better wide lenses than the NEX; specifically the Pany 14/2.5 which is 'way superior to the 16/2.8. The Oly 17/2.8 is so-so but the Pana 20/1.7 is outstanding, (although a bit slow to focus + banding issues on the OMD.)

Way superior than the 16mm?

What do you like about it, is it sharper all around, better contrast?

14mm on 43rds = 28 eqv imaybe "wide" but not much IMO but its what ever you like to use thats best.

There is also the 12mm (16mm eqv) Ultra wide adapter the works rather well on the 16mm 2.8 which I am very happy with.

Yes we're comparing 24mm vs 28mm in 35mm equivalence. So what?

It's tack sharp, straight, the colors are great and it's so good it just 'pops.' Almost a 3-D effect at times. And very fast. It's in a different class altogether, and Imatests confirm this. Even better than my Sigma 19. (28.5mm equivalence.)

Slight softening at the corners and edges, wide open.

Sorry bud, wasn't trying to provoke you, glad you like it. At 16mm Eqv and 24mm Eqv Wide I think the 16 is just fine for that wide.

I baught mine for $100 (current price or free) others paid double and for them I can see where they might complain as the edge are soft and you do have to stop it down if you want it to be sharp.

How are the 8mm and 12mm lenses from Orly/Pano?

Pal2012's gear list:Pal2012's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow